Many restaurants offer different kinds of food with different cuisines to match the preferences and tastes of the customers and hence they have number of cooking staffs to serve their clients or a Line Cook that will prepare the food items that are both presentable as well as palatable. Basically a Line Cook is a person who is in charge of preparing the food items in the pantry or other areas in the kitchen. A Line Cook is working team of member in a workplace; they work by following all the safety procedures, and must be aware of the proportion of ingredients to be used and the exact method of preparing the food items. A Line Cook is very important in every restaurant because they prepare a high-quality food in a timely, efficient, sanitary and a consistent manner.
Duties and responsibilities of a Line Cook includes
- Preparing the food items as directed in a timely manner following the authentic recipes, with controls, portion, and presentation specifications as set by the restaurant.
- A Line Cook has 100% responsibility for quality of the products that is served from preparing to serving with proper plate presentation and garnish set.
- The line cook also has to keep track and report any food waste and must also handle, store and rotate all the products properly.
- All Line Cooks are assigned to prepare dishes for costumers with food allergies or intolerances.
- The applicant must make the food attractive and appealing to both eye and appetite.
- It is the duty of the line cook to manage and maintain the inventory and supply of the food items and also keep record of the waste foods.
- The person must be able to suggest new changes in menus or recipes that will be appreciated by the clients of the restaurant.
You will find a Line Cook is usually working in the kitchen of any restaurants. And to become a Line Cook, one must have a high school diploma or equivalent, a professional diploma or food services management. The applicant must also have a minimum of 1 year of cooking experience. The applicant must also have effective communication skills and must be able to work in a team and must finish work in timely manner and with proper sanitation to insure good taste along with safety. The applicant must be an organised person to finish work in an organised manner. The line cook must have knowledge of various cuisines and must know the tastes of local and international dishes. The applicant must skilfully note the client’s reactions and read their feedback provided by the restaurant manager and suggest possible changes in the dishes or menus. Basically they must do some research by the feedbacks and make the changes that will be helpful to gain customer satisfaction.
What is the Salary for Line cook?
The salary of the line cook can range between$45,000 to 50,000 depending on the responsibility, area and size of the restaurant or place of employment.