Merchandiser’sjob is to promote specific products and services and increase sales of the retailers. The merchandiser has to make arrangements to maximise the sales and so they design and implement ways to attract more and more customers. The merchandiser has to design eye-catching signs for the customers like “Up to 50% off the entire store!” or “Buy one get one free!” Etc. To entice customers to enter the store, thus increasing the sale. In some cases the merchandiser may design brochures and coupons encourage sale of the store.
In some stores the merchandisers also deliver educational materials for training new employees or teaching sales tactics to existing workers. Some stores have merchandising departments, merchandiser also manage the inventory, and report the requirements of the stocks and replace the defective stocks and are responsible for ensuring that products appear in the right store at the appropriate time and in the correct quantities. The profitability of the store depends on the merchandiser as he/she works to maximise profits and manage the performance of the store by planning promotions and also work to make a fair and reasonable deal with the stock and deal with suppliers.
Duties and responsibilities of the merchandiser include planning product ranges and preparing sales and stock plans.
- They have to work in in conjunction with buyers and liaising with buyers, analysts, stores, suppliers and distributors.
- The job of the merchandiser also includes maintenance of up to date data on the stock and also maintain a comprehensive library of appropriate data.
- The duty of the merchandiser is producing layout plans for stores to improve sales and to do so they need to work closely with the buying teams to accurately forecast trends, plan stock levels and monitor performance. Then forecast the profits and sales, and optimising the sales volume and profitability of designated product areas.
- The merchandiser has to plan budgets and presenting sales forecasts and they have to control the stock levels based on requirement of the masses.
- They have to make arrangements to collect customer’s feedback and work accordingly.
- They have to meet the suppliers and managing the distribution of stock, by negotiating cost prices, ordering stock complete the paperwork formalities.
Skills and specifications required by the applicant are that the applicant must have good business sense and negotiation skills and must have the ability to work well in a team and must also possess good written and verbal communication skills and must be a creative person.
Experience and educational qualifications required by the applicant is a bachelor’s degree in marketing or advertising and must also have some experience in marketing.