Doctors who specialise in treating pet animals and take up the responsibility of providing animal care are known as Veterinarians. Medical problems for animals are different from the medical problems faced by the humans. The veterinarian job description is lot harder than the job of a doctor because their patients cannot talk and cannot tell about their pain and feelings. The job of the veterinarian is to diagnose the problem and treat it completely. And also explain in detail of treatment and care to the owners or responsible person of the animal as the animals cannot take care of themselves.
not many people get into this professional because of the risk factors as there is always a danger of getting bitten on the job, but this profession has a lot of scope and the veterinarians are hired by non-profit organizations to monitor and help animals in danger or many of the vets are also hired by the federal and state governments for meat inspection purposes, vets also work closely with pharmaceutical companies, helping in research work and developing medicines and vaccines.Many of the vets work with the government as health inspectors.
Some of the Duties and responsibilities that theveterinarian doctor has to perform are
- Diagnose and provide complete treatment to the animals by responsibly taking all the required steps.
- Treating the injuries of the animals in pain that can be caused by accidents, internal diseases or unhygienic conditions.
- Educating the pet owners about the health care of the animals and providing them the necessary information related to taking care of their pets.
- Should be able to perform surgeries on the animal.
- Working closely with the state and federal governments during epidemic which are affecting animals.
- Keeping a close watch on the animals that are brought in for treatment and reporting its condition to higher authorities.
- It is the duty of the veterinarian to help in the neutering of the animals by obtaining the correct licenses before beginning practice.
Skills and specifications required by the veterinarian doctor is that the individual should have compassion towards animals and good diagnostic skills and should have a threshold for pain as they can get bitten on the job.
Qualifications required for being a veterinarian is a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree and after completing the educational qualification the doctor must obtain license from the state that they choose to practice in.